While we’re on lockdown, there is one thing that has boomed on Zoom – the quiz! So, we thought we’d share a few marathon swimming relating questions that you could add into your next Zoom quiz. Here goes…
1. Marathon Swimming made its Olympic debut at Beijing 2008. In the Marathon Swimming events, how many of the six medals on offer at Beijing 2008 were won by Team GB?
3 - Silver – Keri-Anne Payne, Bronze – Cassandra Patten, Silver – David Davies
2. Alison Streeter MBE has achieved the most English Channel Crossings. How many crossings has she made in total?
Alison Streeter MBE is by far the most accomplished Channel Swimmer ever. Alison holds the record for the most number of crossings 43 (9 crossings ahead of the men’s record)
3. Everyone knows that the swimming events of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games were hosted in the London Aquatics Centre on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, but which pool was used for the London 1948 Olympic Games?
The Empire Pool – aka Wembley Arena or the SSE Arena Wembley (the pool no longer exists)
4. Name the first person ever to swim Land’s End to John O’Groats (swum in 135 days)?
Sean Conway in 2013, taking him 135 days
5. In 2018, Ross Edgeley became the first person to ever swim around Britain. How many days did it take him?
6. Ross Edgeley represented his country in which sport?
7. In 2020 Sarah Thomas became the first person ever to achieve this feat (taking 54 hours to complete it), what was it?
She swam the first four-way crossing of the English Channel (130 miles in 54 hours)
8. In 1875 Captain Matthew Webb became the first person ever to swim the channel. How long did it take him?
22 hours (39 miles)
9. In August 2018 Lewis Pugh, the "Sir Edmund Hillary of swimming", became the first person to swim the length (not width) of the English Channel. To the nearest 50,000, how many strokes did Lewis estimate to have made along his 560km (50 day) The Long Swim?
10. Every year, the London marathon of swimming, Marathon Swims is held at the London Aquatics Centre on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. In which year did this event start?